Monday, October 6, 2008

General Conference - Please Comment!!

I was thinking it would be fun to hear about your favorite parts of general conference...so please jump in and share your insights, experiences, etc. I know there are always lots of wonderful messages, so don't feel obligated to pick just one. Share as many as you have the inclination (and time) to type!

I believe that - just like the scriptures - there are many messages embedded throughout the talks, so that each one of us can get what we need at different times in our lives. For that reason I love re-reading the printed talks down the road. I learn new things each time I read.

For me, I have to say one of my favorite things was not very specific...quite general, really. Saturday afternoon, when the primary choir performed...each song was so amazing. I loved hearing their strong voices sharing the simple truths of the Gospel. And the Spirit bore witness to me that the youth of the church are the strongest, most valiant spirits here on earth at this time. What a blessing to have two of those spirits in our own home. And what a responsibility to teach and guide them down the path that Heavenly Father has set forth for them.

I can't wait to hear yours!

6 comments:

The Patty Cake House said...

I was really touched by conference this year. One of my favorite quotes was given in the Saturday morning AM message. "Faith is not only a feeling it is a decision." That thought followed by President Uchtdorf's message of hope was a huge testimony builder to me.

My ultimate favorite was Presidents Monsons call to "Enjoy the journey." So many times I feel overwhelmed by the every day tasks of being a mom and a wife and a human being. Sometimes I just overlook the importance of the simple things such as - playing with my kids, reading to them, holding them, taking walks with my husband, holding his hand, or just putting down the laundry basket to giggle and play. I have made a decision to change that from this day forward.

I love conference!

The Bundrocks said...

Cute Cute blog Shell! I am so glad you did it! Now we can really keep up to date on your family. YAY! I thoroughly enjoyed conference. I got a message of just keep pressing forward and have faith, be believing and you will receive all the promised blessings both in this life and in the life to come. I too needed the message of "simplify your life, and enjoy the journey. Don't wish it away or get so busy that you forget to relish in the little things in life. (i.e. the cute things your kids say and do.) So I am trying to see where I can simplify my life and enjoy the things that are the most important.


Inspired messages from God!

Tofu said...

What a great idea!

Here are my favorite quotations:

Neil L. Anderson's "You don't know everything--But you know enough!"

President Uchtdorf's "Hope is a COMMANDMENT!"

Joseph B. Wirthlin's Mother "Come what may. . . and LOVE it!"

Lawrence Corbridge's statement about how the gospel differs from the world. The higher the standard (in the world)the fewer that reach it. In contrast, the Lord's invitation is achievable by all.

President Monson's "A problem to be solved is not more important than a person to love."

Quentin L. Cook's "We Won't suffer anymore than is for our own good."

Is that too many? It really was a great conference!

Dustin said...

Well, obviously conference is always great. They talked about simplifying our lives, shoot and I just bought a Porsche and 6 thousand sq ft home, it's gorgeous, and ya know what's cool, It will be paid off because of this new bail out.. I'm so thankful for the gov't. They make it so I don't lose my home and I can afford to be lazy and irresponsible.. woooo hoo.

anyways, lift where you stand, that's how i can pitch in huh?!?!?

Wendy Delgado said...

I just love how this conference just proved even more how "Open" the heaven are! President Monsons is true for our day! I love how he talk about kinda of letting go and moving forward with Change. I realy think some people need that talk since so many are having hard time of letting go of Gordan B Hinkley! I love how he gave us hope and encouragement to Endure to the end! I have realy just fallen in love with President Uchtdorf and the way he always just encourages us strait forward. I realy enjoyed the womens conference!
This Conference let me know that were all in the same boat were all poor and pridefull and we need to serve others and share with eachother!

Shalantie said...

Yes, shelley i'm responding to your comment on my blog. We did find out what was following us in the maze- I left those details out because the story was getting too long. But about a half hour later when we were stuck at the end, we heard the same thing coming through the corn and we just stood there and braved it. It was a DOG! And I was so scared it was going to attack us or something, but he totally didn't even acknowledge us. Whew! Good thing.